Thursday, September 24, 2009

Postcard from Skye

Sorry for the long radio silence - In between setting up my new portfolio website, producing the 4mations "Astronomers Sun" production blog and generally being very busy, I seem to have fallen down the blogging abyss with my own blog. I've just come back from a wonderful family holiday in the Isle of Skye in Scotland. Here's a few doodles from my holiday sketchbook.

Pen & ink. The coastline of Skye is a series of peninsulas and bays radiating out from a centre dominated by the Cuillin hills.


Pen & Ink. This impressive rock formation on the Isle of Skye resembles the sort of stark rock faces you might associate more with a spaghetti western. The mountain range and its strange formations are the result of ancient volcanic activity.

Quick Pen sketch of Seagulls at Portree harbor, situated off the Sound of Rassay, Scotland.


I drew these quick sketches on a small boat trip to see a seal colony around the loch of Dunvegan Castle in Scotland. Watching the effortless and relaxed poses of these playful sea mammals lying on the rocks reminded me a little of my cat back home!

2 comments:

Neil said...

Hi David
I am so very impressed by your sketches, and not a little envious of your abilities. I recently studied a book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain', or something similar, and managed to draw a very passable picture of an Ali Baba type figure. I surprised myself so there might be some well hidden ability somewhere.
I live on the Isle of Skye, on Loch Dunvegan, and the seals are at the bottom of our croft.
Would you mind If I put a link to your blog on our website. www.isleofskyeholidays.co.uk?
The birds in Portree Harbour are brilliant seagulls as opposed to pigeons. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it.
In the meantime very best wishes.
Neil

David Bunting said...

Hi Neil
Thank you for your comments. How nice it is to hear from someone from the enchanting Loch Dunvegan!
I couldn't be happier that you would like to link my blog to your website. However if it is to help you sell your business and promote your holiday cottages, I wonder if you would consider it a fair exchange if you let me stay for a break in return? I’d be happy to give you a signed print as well as well as permission to use my pictures on your website. You can email me directly if you prefer by clicking on my profile.
Betty Edwards 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' is a classic book which I remember studying when I was younger. Oh and thanks for pointing out pigeon gaff! Consider it changed!